Thursday, January 01, 2009

Rebirth...

Last night Tracie and I spent time talking about our hopes for the coming year.  She asked for a word that described my desires and dreams for the next year.  Now when you really think about it...that's a HUGE question!  To try and look forward and sum up that much time in a single word is tough, I can barely think ahead to the next 24 hours.  Yet as soon as she asked, a word came...rebirth.  Her question immediately after was, "what do you mean?" to which I replied "I don't know."  I didn't know why I spoke that word, I just knew it came from a deep place and is true to what I am both feeling now and long for over the next year...rebirth.

So I got up this morning with the fragrance of that word still fresh in my soul...rebirth.  In Christian circles that word is spoken often, but I'm not convince it is truly experienced to the depths that God intends.  If I'm honest that is my observation of my own life.  I know the word, but feel more like a "new manager" than a "new creation".  By that I mean I spend more time doing old things in new ways rather than living as a new person from a new heart toward a new destination.  Yet even as I type that hope swells in places still unexplored in my soul...and that feels good.  This morning rather than anxiety about the future, I feel humility and gratitude for the present.  I am thankful for both the work Christ has done, and has planned for the next chapter in our lives.

How about you...what is your "word?"

0 comments: